I’m honored that my first collection of travel stories, Lost, Kidnapped, Eaten Alive! True Stories from a Curious Traveler, won the following awards:
- North American Book Awards 2017: Silver Award in the Travel category.
- San Francisco Book Festival 2017: First Place Winner in the General Non-fiction category.
- Independent Press Award 2017: Distinguished Favorite in the Travel category.
- BATW-Best Awards 2017: Gold Award in the Travel Books category.
Many of my essays and photos are also award winners; here are two biggies I’m thrilled about:
- Silk from Ashes, about the impact one woman, her bra, and 11,640 insect eggs made on war-torn Croatia, won the 2013 Lowell Thomas Gold Award for Cultural Tourism.
- My photo of a tiny frog nestled—nearly hidden—in the leaves of a colorful kalancho won first place in the Natural World category of Smithsonian magazine’s annual international photo contest (there were 60,000 entries).